The SWRI was established in 2014 following the merger of four research institutes (1. Soil Science of Thessaloniki, 2. Soil Science of Athens). The administrative headquarters of the Institute is located in Thermi, Thessaloniki, with a research unit in Sindos, Thessaloniki, and the Departments of Soil Science and Agricultural Engineering in Athens.
The Institute conducts research in the following research areas:
- rational management and treatment of soil and water resources
- development of anti-pollution methods for the protection of soil and water resources
- crop mechanisation
- intelligent agriculture
- agricultural and urban waste management
These objects are supported by modern technological tools such as Geographic Information Systems, remote sensing, mathematical models, artificial intelligence and communication systems between computers and environmental observation sensors field parameters.
In addition to its research activities, the IESEP participates in education-training programmes for young scientists and in the supervision of undergraduate, postgraduate and postgraduate research projects.
PhD theses in cooperation with Greek and European universities.
The SWRI has dedicated research and service structures:
- The research unit in Thermi (headquarters) is ISO 9001:2015 certified for "Conducting laboratory analyses of soil, leaves and water, implementation of research projects and management of related software". Laboratory and software development. Soil and leaf analysis, 2. Physiology and nutrition, 3. Soil physics, 4. Soil microbiology and 5. Waste management and bioprocesses)
- The research unit in Sindos has an "Accredited Laboratory for soil-water-plant tissue physicochemical analyses according to ELOT EN ISO/IEC 17025".
- The Department of Agricultural Engineering in Ag. Anargyros, Attica has an "Accredited Laboratory for Spraying Machinery according to the international standard EN ISO 16119".
- The Department of Soil Science of Athens located in Lykovrisi, Athens, region of Attica has an Accredited Soil Science Laboratory according to ELOT EN ISO/IEC 17025. Analyses of plant tissues, water and compost are also carried out.